Teaser Tuesdays with DAY AND NIGHT

mirror1.jpg 400×600 pixels
From "Day and Night"

I've mentioned my Snow White retelling before. Day and Night is a semi-gothic fairy tale set in two kingdoms that are joined by magically-enforced Rules. Ray and Luna rule the kingdoms, and Luna is the narrator of the story. Luna has no heir, but Ray's daughter, Celestia, will inherit her father's throne.

Day and Night is darker than most of my writing. Luna is bitter from years of hurt and betrayal. At this point in her life, she cares for little beyond keeping her kingdom safe.

mountainqoats:  “ A Storm off a Rocky Coast, Carlo Bonavia / It’s All Here In Brownsville, The Mountain Goats  ”
From "Day and Night"

So without further ado, here's a teaser from Day and Night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


My night had been long, and I wanted sleep well before the sun had begun to rise. But as I climbed the stairs to my chamber, my mind centered on one thought. Celestia must break the Rules.

The Rules were strict, made to enforce the treaty between the Kingdoms, and there was no escaping them. Their magic had no boundaries, not if they had been broken thrice. The punishment only ended when the Rules were made invalid, when the two Kingdoms became one. But that rested on Ray and I having a child, and so the punishment was eternal.
“Your majesty?”
I paused at my chamber’s door and turned to see a young nightdweller. In her hand, she held a ripe pomegranate.
Shyly, she offered it. “I picked this for you, Queen Luna.”
“Thank you, child.” I smiled and took it. “It is beautiful, this fruit of Night you have given me.”
She smiled and timidly backed up. Then she darted away, and I watched her go.
Opening my door, I realized how deeply I wanted a child of my own. A child to hold and to love. Perhaps Ray and I could have had one, but I could not forgive him for what he’d done. We had no children. I slammed the door closed. Its bang echoed through the empty room that was a replica of my heart.
I walked to the star mirror and placed my hand against its glass, willing it to show Ray. When his image appeared, he looked no different than before. He still seemed lifeless. His chest barely moved, barely breathed.
In that chest beat a heart that was weak only physically. It beat strong for his people. Strong for his daughter. Maybe strong for me, but I did not now. I had done little to earn that heartbeat.
Staring into the mirror, I knew I had not wanted to earn it for some time. But once, long ago, I’d wanted to earn Ray’s heartbeat. As I watched my husband through the glass, I wished I had never stopped wanting it. But I had, and there was no changing it. Ray had hurt me, and I’d had to protect myself. I had given up the heartbeat.
I sat and ate my pomegranate, watching the heartbeat weaken moment by moment. Beat by beat. I sat and watched and fought my tears, eating my pomegranate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

crema al veleno di vipera http://kepago.it/creme-antirughe/37523-crema-al-veleno-di-vipera-retinol-complex.html
From "Day and Night"

I'm actually considering independently publishing this as an e-book but haven't made a final decision. Amazon has a way to do that, but I don't know.... It seems risky.... But if that's something you'd be interested in having the chance to buy, let me know.

I'd also love to hear any thoughts on this snippet. Do y'all want more from this story or would y'all rather read more from The Dragon Books

Here's Baby Yoda. Have a good week!

From "The Craziness of Moriah Snell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bookin' It

Please Remember....

Teaser Tuesday with THE DRAGONS' STONES