Three Books I've Enjoyed Recently

From "Books, Movies, Coffee, Etc."

I read a lot of books. I probably read more books than I realize, and that's sad. They blend together in my mind, and I have trouble separating their uniquenesses. So in an effort to  combat that, I have Goodreads. However, I also want to share them here.

~~~

Bridge of Clay
Via Goodreads
So I adore Zusak's The Book Thief and was so excited when I heard about Bridge of Clay. I wasn't disappointed.

Markus Zusak excels in character creations. Every single last person he writes could leap from the pages and into the real world easy. The five Dunbar boys are no exception. They are full of life and hurt and fight. Matthew, the Narrator and the oldest, is probably my favorite, but the title character Clay makes me want to cry every time.

This is a flashback heavy book, and it isn't told in chronological order. You see the consequences long before you see the actions. You experience the scars before you see the fresh wound. And it's beautiful.

Due to heavy language and a few non-descriptive scenes, I would recommend this book for adults only.


Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)
Via Goodreads
I love a good fairy tale retelling, and Jessica Day George's PRINCESSES OF WESTFALIN TRILOGY are simply wonderful.  Though they have no truly deep themes, they do contain the traditional values of Light versus Dark and a positive view of "the Church".

Princess of Glass, the trilogy's second book, is a Cinderella story. However, our protagonist Poppy isn't Cinderella. She's a snarky, stubborn princess who doesn't really want to visit the Kingdom of Breton. She doesn't like white dresses and can't stand dancing.

This is an unique spin, but I like Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted better. That being said, this is definitely one of the better retellings. It simply lacks that something extra. (That make sense?)

I would recommend this book for anyone over, like, fourteen, and younger ages could enjoy it as a read-aloud.

Handbook for Dragon Slayers
Via Goodreads
I've read a couple books by Merrie Haskell, and she writes delightful  fantasy with solid themes. Handbook for Dragon Slayers is exactly that.

Matilda isn't a standard fairy tale princess. She isn't the daughter of a king, for one thing - just a free-holding princess. For another thing, she's crippled. Thirdly, she copies books.

She wants to be a nun, a fate she believes will allow her to pursue books and escape the stares her leg attracts. But when she actually is given the chance to give up her title, she is faced with the consequences that forsaking will cause.

Though it is a light read, Haskell weaves in themes of going beyond our comfort zones and our responsibilities to others. She recognizes that our choices effect others and that sometimes we have think of their good before our own.

I would recommend this for probably eleven and up, but a strong reader could enjoy it at a younger age. This would also make a great read-aloud.

~~~

So those are some books I've enjoyed fairly recently. The links under the cover of each book will take you to their Goodreads page. There you can read my own and others' reviews of them and ask any questions you may have.

If you liked this post, leaving me a comment so I know. Maybe I'll do some more. If you hop over to Goodreads and like that, or just want to know what I'm reading and what my thoughts on those books, be sure to be my friend there.

From"Books, Movies Coffee, Etc."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bookin' It

Please Remember....

Teaser Tuesday with THE DRAGONS' STONES